Thursday, December 24, 2009

Can I wash dry clean only garments at home by handwashing or gentle wash in the washing machine?

I have three suits that I wear for work and really object to having to pay to get them cleaned. I wanted to know if anyone out there has any handy tips for avoiding dry cleaning costs.Can I wash dry clean only garments at home by handwashing or gentle wash in the washing machine?
You can try one of the kits on the market, like Dryel, that's really good and costs less then dry cleaning.





For stains on dry clean only clothing, use something VERY mild, like club soda. Pour the club soda directly on the stain and blot. Then carbonation will lift the stain and the salt in it will prevent it from staining. Keep blotting the stain until it comes up.





You can also take out odors in clothing by spraying the insides of them with vodka! Turn them inside out, so that you have the wrong side of the material facing you, spray with vodka and then hang to dry, this takes out any sweat odors and vodka's a disinfectant. I wouldn't soak the clothing with it, but spritz it lightly with it, just make sure you're doing it on the inside of the clothing, not the right side, that faces out, you want the side that touches your body when you're wearing them.Can I wash dry clean only garments at home by handwashing or gentle wash in the washing machine?
I wash all my dry clean only.....I use gentle cycle and then ';fluff'; them-the no heat setting on your dryer and then hang them up.
Do you re-use paper towels? Do you re-fill your cologne bottles from the testers in department stores? Do you roll your own toilet paper rolls from public restrooms? Do you ask for hot water and ketchup to make tomato soup at lunch counters?





The above are just a few more handy tips for avoiding the normal costs of living.
I have used the home dry cleaning kits and they do a good


job. For suits I would use the home kit and then take to dry cleaners for press only which is a fraction of the cost for the full service treatment at the dry cleaners. The problem with washing suits the lining shrinks and the suit loses the original line and fit. Maybe once or twice a year have them professionally dry cleaned. Good Luck
i usually use cold water and the at home dry cleaner kits they work great.
There are home dry cleaner products, however, I wouldn't use them on a suit. A suit is an investment in your future and dry cleaning is an investment in your suit. Dry cleaning costs are part of the cost of living, a part of the cost of success.
I have washed many ';dry clean only'; garments and never ruined one. I use cold water, gentle detergent on gentle cycle and don't put them in the dryer. It seems to work fine.
i use the wool wash cycle on my machine for dry clean only clothing
the only thing i do not hand wash of dry clean only is pure wool as it will shrink. you can buy sheets that go in your dryer on low to get that better than dry clean for the wool only. have you ever notice the smell in the clothes you take to the dry cleaners. most clothes are cleaned with a by product of gasoline.

No comments:

Post a Comment