Sunday, December 20, 2009

Can I wash the blanket I crocheted in the washing machine?

It's burgandy and white.Can I wash the blanket I crocheted in the washing machine?
Look at the labels from the yarn. If the yarn is washable, the blanket probably is. However, it might be a good idea to put it in a large sweater bag to protect it from stretching while it is wet if you machine wash it.





If you hand wash it, you won't need the bag.





Drying will also depend on what the yarn can handle. Cottons and wools shrink some and should be blocked (reshaped while still damp) and dried flat, but synthetics can be tossed right into the dryer, most of the time.Can I wash the blanket I crocheted in the washing machine?
yes, i recommend gentle action though
I would be careful. If you still still have the wrapper that the yarn came in I would check to see if the color would fade. If you do wash it, run it only for about 10 minutes on delicate cycle and use woolite (or however you spell that )





DONT DRY IT!!!
Depends on wht type of yarn ou used. If it's rewashed it should be fine. It may be best to wash it in cold water. And if you didn't crochette it right it will unravel in the washer, so only wash it in the machine if your confident in your skills.
maybe - be REALLY careful. it could shrink or get the threads pulled.





i would feel safer if it were mine sending it to the dry cleaner.
Washing it in the washer is fine, do not dry it. My mom made me one and I just dried it this morning and there was enormous amount of lint/fuzz that came from it and it almost fried my dryer. It had a burnt smell!
I have machine washed and dried everything I have ever crocheted, without anything happening to any of the items. Then again, I use synthetic yarns.





Most yarns today don't bleed color, so you should be ok there, but check the wrapper just to be on the safe side.
How did you crochet it in the washing machine? Wasn't it a bit cramped in there?
I have an afgan that my mom made me and I wash it all the time in the washer on gentle cycle. It's a really thick and heavy duty yarn... It's hunter green,white and burgundy...
Yes you can... my grandmother in law crocheted me a blanket and is washes beautifuly in the washing machine. Just use cold water as the burgandy might run into the white. Also take a look at the sleeve the yarn came in... what does it say?? Most yarns are machine safe these days and yes you can dry it but I think that drying makes lint balls stick to it so I just drape mine over the kitchen table while it dries.... good luck!
You have to wash it in cold water on the gentle cycle. If you dry it, do it on low.
I would hand wash it in woolite as your washing machine may be too rough for it. If you must try a washing machine, use the delicate cycle. And hang dry in either case. If you still have the sleeve the yarn came in, it can give you a pretty good idea of how to take care of your blanket.
Hand wash! Hand wash all the way! Then put it in for a spin cycle only to get all the excess water out.

No comments:

Post a Comment