Thursday, January 7, 2010

Do you ever wash ';dry clean only'; items in the washing machine? What are your results?

After a dry cleaner ruined an expensive dry clean only outfit, I thought I would take my chances with the machine. Since then, I've washed several dry clean only items on cold/delicate/no spin with great success. Granted not everyone has a machine they can switch to no spin.





I'm wondering if anyone else has tried washing dry clean only items and what their results have been.Do you ever wash ';dry clean only'; items in the washing machine? What are your results?
Yes, I've washed dry clean only items before and have had some success, but also had some failures.





Success:


printed raw silk tunic


knit jersey dress


tailored cotton vest








Failures:


rayon pants: Shrunk


black silk sweater: faded color


lined wool skirt (accidentally ended up in wash): Wool outside fabric shrunk and acetate liner didn't.





Good rules of thumb regarding dry cleanables:


1) If it's wool, dry clean it.


2) If it's lined with a different fabric than the outside fabric, dry clean it.


3) If it's black, dry clean it.Do you ever wash ';dry clean only'; items in the washing machine? What are your results?
Actually Melissa's answer is quite funny. Manufacturers can give a flying f**k about dry cleaners. They just want to have the problem happen somewhere else so they can blame the cleaner (sometimes it is the cleaners OK but...) . When it happens to the person who didn't follow the label and the thing gets ruined, the person blames him(her) self and doesn't go after the machine maker, the oap company, the store etc.





In answer to the question, each item is different. To know whether or not an item can be washed requires knowledge of fibers, chemistry, construction, and a bit pf physics. If you don't have this knowledge, then it is a bit like Las Vegas, you win some and you lose some.
I've used the washing machine to wash dry clean only items and the dryer kits for other more delicate items or when a jacket simply needs refreshing. Over the years, I have had a couple failures, but to be honest, no more than the dry cleaners did LOL. Often, the problems are embellishments, or extremely delicate fabrics which tend to tear easily, or vintage items that were made with cat gut which tends to get a loose end and totally unravel a seam. But, overall, I also have experienced great success and huge savings by taking the time to care for dry clean only items at home.
I'll wash just about anything that says ';Dry Clean Only'; in the cold, delicate cycle. I usually hang or flat dry them to reduce the need for ironing. I haven't tried it with my suits though, but I have used Dryel to freshen them. YES! A couple of things didn't work out well. Thing of that is, if I calculate what I save over dry cleaning, the cost of replacing something once in a while is a lot cheaper.





And yes! I can and do laundry.
Yes all the time. I have several dresses that I wash all the time that say dry clean only. I have ruined one item by washing it. Its a chance you take. I think some times manufacturers want to drum up business for cleaners.
some good some real bad
Yes, I have done the same and used Woolite. Saves on money!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment