Thursday, January 7, 2010

Can I wash a wool sweater in my washing machine?

It has a dog pee stain on it. I know I should probably bring it to a dry cleaner, but I'm trying to save money.Can I wash a wool sweater in my washing machine?
don't do it.





I bought a brand new Electrolux washer and dryer in December. The washer has a ';hand wash'; setting (gentle wash, no spin) and I ruined one of my favorite sweaters... you know, to where it would be good for a two year old? I wish I'd taken it in... wahhhh...





I used cold water, Woolite, everything you're supposed to use..Can I wash a wool sweater in my washing machine?
Yes if your machine has a wool wash/handwash cycle (mine does 25c) or a cool low spin one. Use a detergent appropriate for wools as well and reshape as soon as is finished. I was spending a fortune on dry cleaning because my husband plays golf and has quite a few cashmere jumpers but this works a treat...hope the stain comes out too.
The shrinking is usually caused by the drying method.





If it is safe in water it is safe in Lux, used to be the advert for the mild soap flakes.





I would use a conditioner on it too, spin dry lightly, then allow to dry gently on a rack, keep moving around whilst it is drying will help keep it in shape.
You might end up ruining it. I ruined my wool sweater by putting it in the washing machine. It now has little holes in it and lint all over it and doesn't look great. So depends, if you're going to throw the sweater out anyways then sure
I wash all my sweaters and have never had a problem (woolite, gentle cycle, cold water and lay flat to dry) I also put each individual sweater in a small mesh lingerie bag so that they wont get pulled and tangled
if you want a smaller one, then go for it


take it to the dry cleaners, save money for the service
Does your machine have a gentle cycle? Use that cycle and Woolite in cold water. Do NOT dry it, spread it out on a rack if you have one, or a towel, and let it air dry. Good luck.
...sure... don't ever expect to ware it again but you can wash it in the machine if you'd like !





Get it Dry Cleaned.

No comments:

Post a Comment